Toxic Tip! Artificial SweetenersPosted: March 5, 2011
As I mentioned in my Journey to Health post, one of the first toxic chemicals I began to ban was artificial sweeteners. The reason why I zeroed in on these guys was the fact that I was experiencing a lot of painful symptoms caused by a neurological disorder. After reading a few websites, blogs, and books, I decided that it was the toxic artificial chemicals in food and drink that might be contributing to the neurological problems. I know that so many people are being educated on reading food labels, but I honestly don’t think it matters if you have no clue what to look for and what ingredients to avoid. It’s great if you want to count calories and fat and sugar. But the most important thing to look at is the INGREDIENTS. So what if the packaged baked good or drink says “sugar free”. If you look for this term or “diet” on food packaging, start to change your thinking. These terms do not equate to “healthy”. Here’s why:
- Artificial sweeteners are not thoroughly tested for safety by the FDA.
- Independent science labs and research facilities are releasing reports on the health hazards of artificial sweeteners in animals using dosages proportional to the amount a human would ingest during the course of a day. They are finding that these animals are getting cancerous tumors and increases the occurrence of lymphomas, leukemia, and breast cancer in rats.
- The American Cancer Society concurs that Artificial sweeteners not only don’t help weight loss, they actually may contribute to weight gain by stimulating appetite and bringing on a craving for carbohydrates.
- People who use artificial sweeteners tend to gain more weight than those who avoid them.
- There is a 41% increase in risk of being overweight for every can or bottle of diet drink a person consumes each day.
- Aspartame breaks down into formaldehyde in the body and is linked to cancer, neurological disorders, migraines, depression, anxiety, chest palpitations, etc.
- Aspartame, the generic name for Equal and NutraSweet
- Acesulfame K
- Sucralose (Splenda) made from chlorinating sugar. Who wants chlorine in their drinks or goodies?
- Saccharin (Sweet’N Low)
Please avoid these harmful chemicals! Don’t buy or consume products containing artificial sweeteners. But don’t think this means you should switch to white sugar. Processed sugar is harmful to your body as well (more on this in another post). Instead, use agave nectar, rapadura, molasses, maple syrup, date sugar, or raw honey as a sweetener. And of course, go organic! There is absolutely no reason to choose artificial ingredients that do more harm than good to our bodies. These chemicals will be hard to banish from your diet, I know, I’ve been there! But you can do it! Your taste buds are trained to like the way foods taste after you have been consuming these chemicals for a while. But as you slowly begin to change, you will begin to feel better without them and you will come to appreciate the sweetness of natural sweeteners in your food and drinks.